Research Fellow Michael Heim
Terms for 2004 Digital Cultures Research Fellowship
Stipend: $12,000 for
a residence fellowship stipend to cover the expense of travel to and
from UC Santa Barbara, room and lodgings while living in Santa Barbara
to do research in digital cultures. It is assumed that research fellows
will have no teaching duties during the time they use this stipend.
Term: 4 to 10 continuous weeks between January
15, 2004 and June 1, 2004.
Eligibility: Faculty or post-doctoral student
at a university in this country or abroad.
Facilities: Research fellow will have 24
hours access to the Transcriptions computing studio. The computing
studio, located in the English Department, has high-end networked
Dell machines, a NT Server, a full suite of software: MS Office
and Access; Macromedia Director, Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop,
Premiere, etc. (See Transcriptions web site: http://transcriptions.english.ucsb.edu/studio.shtml).
Discussion: We are hoping to attract an
applicant who is doing research in any of the broad range of topics
in the general area of the study of digital cultures. These include
but are not limited to:
The Digital Cultures Research fellow will be expected
to lead a seminar on his or her work near the beginning of his or
her fellowship term.
- Theory, history, culture, philosophy, or aesthetics
of new media
- Database design for humanities research
- Public Internet policy (e.g., copyright, free
speech, privacy, access)
- Hypertext and multimedia theory, practice, or
- Advanced use of any of the following for humanities
research: HTML/SGML/XML, various scripting languages, imaging
standards, multimedia, streaming media, etc.
Deadline for application: October, 15 2003
How to apply: Your application should include
the following items:
- Your full contact information: name, phone number,
address and email
- A short (1,000 word) description of your proposed
- The dates when you propose to do your research
at UC/ Santa Barbara
- Your CV
- One or two examples of your work (articles,
- The names and email address of two people who
would write recommendations for you if we contact them.
We welcome online application: send your materials
or Professor William Warner; Department of English; UC Santa Barbara;
Santa Barbara, CA. 93106-3170.